The Colorado Music Festival features a highly professional full-sized symphony orchestra performing six week summer seasons in Boulder’s historic Chautauqua Auditorium. Following an amazing initial summer, we welcome back Maestro Peter Oundjian for his second season as Music Director, along with many other world class guest artists. CMF’s orchestra musicians come from many of the finest North American orchestras and freelance communities to spend their summers in Boulder, enjoying not only its spectacular natural beauty but its bustling college town feel as well. Inspired programming performed by exceptional national and international musicians has earned Colorado Music Festival recognition from the League of American Orchestras and the National Endowment for the Arts. The festival strives to maintain a healthy life-work balance in its scheduling of musician activities, in the hope that members will want to return year after year to see longtime friends and make music together in a truly beautiful setting.
The 2020 Colorado Music Festival runs from the last week of June through August 1st for musicians. We have two main orchestra series – Festival Orchestra (Thursday/Friday concerts) and Chamber Orchestra (Sunday concerts). We perform a Young People’s Concert during the summer, a group of concerts as part of a CMF’s Chamber Music Series, and a few other small ensemble engagements in which some players are involved. Section members typically play about forty orchestral services as a minimum in these six weeks, and Principals closer to forty-five services, including chamber music. We are a per service orchestra, and provide housing and a travel stipend. Housing ranges from comfortable host family situations to apartment living.
We ask that you have three years’ minimum of professional performance experience if you are interested in applying. Applicants must also provide their own work visa for U.S. employment.
This position is primarily 2nd Bassoon with some Assistant Principal (and occasional) Principal duties.
COLORADO MUSIC FESTIVAL
AUDITION FOR 2nd Bassoon/Assistant Principal Bassoon
Mozart Bassoon Concerto, 1st movement: measures 35-71
1st bassoon excerpts:
- Ravel Bolero: Rehearsal number 2 to Rehearsal number 3
- Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 6, 4th movement: measures beginning until measure 37
- Mozart Marriage of Figaro Overture, measures 139 to 171
2nd bassoon excerpts:
- Brahms Violin Concerto, 2nd movement: measures 1-32
- Bartok Concerto for Orchestra, 2nd movement:
- pickups to measure 9- measure 25 and
- pick ups to measure 165 to measure 181
APPLICATION AND VIDEO FORMAT:
**Please note: you must be able to obtain your own work visa if you do not have U.S. Citizenship. CMF is not able to help in this process.
1. OCTOBER 25TH: To apply, please send a current resume to email@example.com. Three years of professional experience, or the equivalent are required for this position.(If applying without requisite experience, please submit a letter of explanation and references; you will be notified if your resume is accepted). Once we have received your resume, you will receive a confirmation that you will be added to the audition list. Resume applications will be accepted through October 25th.
2. NOVEMBER 8TH: Upload the audition video to Youtube and send the link to: firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also send an additional upgraded audio recording in this email if you so choose. Recordings are due by NOVEMBER 8th, 2019.
- The link can be unlisted, but should NOT BE PRIVATE (members of the committee will need to access this, possibly multiple times.)
- Audition recording should be submitted as an unedited, SINGLE TAKE video. The goal is to have a recording that is most closely representative of playing a live audition. Please perform the excerpts in the order listed above.
- Recordings should preferably be in the following uncompressed (16bit) formats: wav., flac or alac. mp3 format is not preferable because of compression, but works if that’s all that is possible. If you record the video, but are concerned with quality of the audio recording, you may also send a separate audio file that is higher quality (but is the same take and can be synced with the video.) This is at your discretion.
- Please do not include any resume material on your video.
3. Please be in touch at email@example.com with any questions about repertoire or procedures. Thank you for your interest in CMF.