JOB TITLE: Director of Development
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
SUPERVISES: Corporate and Major Gifts Associate
ABOUT THE COLORADO MUSIC FESTIVAL & CENTER FOR MUSICAL ARTS
The Colorado Music Festival & Center for Musical Arts (CMF & CMA) is a two-tiered organization that combines a classical summer music festival with a community music school. Together, CMF & CMA
provides an all-inclusive musical experience. From teaching students to master a skill
CMF & CMA is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, ethnicity, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. The organization maintains membership in the League of American Orchestras and the National Guild for Community Arts Education.
The CMF & CMA is at an exciting stage of its 42-year evolution. Poised for growth and expansion as a result of the recent appointment of Peter Oundjian as Music Director and flourishing music education
programs, CMF & CMA is currently seeking an experienced fundraising professional committed to the support and proliferation of exceptional music, organizational excellence
The Director of Development works closely with the Executive Director to design and implement strategies that ensure successful organizational fundraising. This includes the acquisition and retention of all contributed revenue in excess of $1.2M annually in addition to coordinating supplemental capital campaigns. The Director of Development is responsible for planning and implementing all activities
relative to the cultivation and solicitation of individual, corporate, foundation, grant and government support.
• Knowledge and appreciation of classical music; ability to communicate comfortably among classical as well as musically diverse musicians, students, faculty and patrons.
• Eagerness to work closely with board members, key artistic organizational and administrative leaders and volunteers to provide structure and guidance for the development program.
• Ability to supervise staff to provide strong support systems for all development activities which identity, cultivate, and successfully acquire new donors as well as retain and upgrade current donors.
• Ability to identify funding prospects, develop comprehensive strategies, and oversee the successful acquisition of new and increased contributions as required by organizational goals and aspirations.
• Ability to envision growth within the development staff and departmental functions, working closely with executive leadership to set a strategic and tactical course towards increased capacity.
• Ability to budget associated expenses to achieve contributed revenue in excess of $1.2M annually.
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to positively represent the organization at events and within the general community.
• Exceptional attention to detail and project management skills.
• Strong event planning skills and willingness to guide and mentor volunteer and staff in a respectful and sensitive manner.
• Develop and implement strategic, comprehensive annual development plan, including all individual, corporate, government and foundation campaigns, in addition to special events and planned giving.
• Formulate and monitor the organization’s development budget against goals; prepare monthly reports for director and board review.
• Maintain a portfolio of approximately 100 assigned major donors and prospects with $10K+ capacity. Interact face-to-face with major donors, corporate and foundation leaders. Assist the Corporate and Major Gifts Associate, Board members and other leadership volunteers to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward appropriate donors. Identify and solicit potential planned giving prospects.
• Develop and manage Board fundraising capacity. Identify, recruit, train and develop leadership roles for Board and volunteers to assist with major gift fundraising activities. Provide clearly articulated volunteer job descriptions, timelines and appropriate administrative support. Attend
board and committee meetings as required.
• Working with staff and volunteers, plan and coordinate all development events including fundraising galas, donor stewardship
• Manage gift processing and acknowledgment system, including administration of the donor database, record keeping
• Manage all granting activities, including applying, tracking and reporting for
• Devise and implement comprehensive donor benefit and stewardship system.
• Efficiently and effectively orchestrate simultaneous fundraising campaigns across multiple channels. Oversee all aspects of development print and online content, collateral production
• Prepare written proposals, fund agreements, gift illustrations, and other materials needed to secure major gifts.
• Positively represent the organization at social functions and other activities in the community.
• Maintain up-to-date knowledge about fundraising trends and governmental rules and regulations, apply them appropriately.
• Bachelor’s Degree plus Minimum 7+ years related experience and proven track record of securing major gifts.
• 2+ years management experience.
• Event management experience.
• Grant-writing experience with proven ability to write professionally and persuasively.
• Strong verbal communications skills and demonstrated ability to speak clearly and persuasively.
• Proven knowledge and demonstrated
• Strong donor relationship management skills and a focus on relationship building among a wide range of individuals, socio-economic and cultural backgrounds.
• Demonstrated ability to think strategically,
• Ability to work collaboratively with staff in a positive and supportive environment.
• Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite; proficiency in Raiser’s Edge software preferable.
• Demonstrated experience developing annual revenue and expense budgets and tracking expenses.
• Must be able to work nights, weekends and special events, especially in the summertime during the Festival season.
• Master’s Degree and CFRE certification desirable.
The Colorado Music Festival & Center for Musical Arts offers a competitive salary in line with industry standards. Compensation package also includes 65% paid health and dental insurance, optional 401(k)
plan, and paid time off.
Please submit the following to email@example.com with “Development” in the subject line before April 30, 2019:
• Cover letter including salary requirements
• Resume with four references
No phone calls, please.